What is the account number of my card or account?
Money management has become very virtual in recent years; technology and global financial networks have allowed people to access their money just by having a debit card. They can dispose of the money in their bank account. But if you are new to this world, you may be wondering what the account number of my card or bank account is? Are they equal? We invite you to read the following post and know the difference between both numbers.
Is it necessary to know the account number of my card or account?
What is the account number of my card or account? Both numbers are usually found on the front and back of the credit card; although they are not the same, they are relevant when carrying out our transactions.
Today’s management has changed the way we buy, acquire goods and services and give ourselves one or another whim; all of this virtually. In recent years, technology, along with the support of global financial networks, has allowed people to access their money virtually just a few clicks away. Debit cards, in which we have our capital, are managed from a bank account.
Being a beginner in this world, many doubts, fears, and disagreements arise that cannot be resolved immediately. It is because we do not have an advisor at hand to resolve our doubts; Questions arise such as: What is the account number of my card or account? Are they the same?
What are bank accounts?
Bank accounts are financial products that allow you, through an agreement with the bank, to put your money in its care with the security that it will protect and that you will be able to access it at any time you need it. It is where managing your money virtually begins since your savings will be in the bank and not in your pocket.
To access it, the bank provides you with payment instruments, such as a debit card or a checkbook, with which you can make payments, purchases, and cash withdrawals through ATMs. It will also offer you an online platform that you can access whenever you need to make payments, fund transfers to other accounts, your own or third parties, requests to the bank, among other operations.
When you open a bank account, you are assigned an account number that is unique and not repeated for any client. It is like an identity document, a code that only belongs to you and distinguishes you from millions of other users.
What is the account number of my bank account?
As we mentioned before, bank accounts are assigned a number or code that is unique and personal to the client. This number identifies your account from other customers both at the bank where your account is located and at others. In other words, it is not even repeated among any client in the country, whatever the bank.
Your bank account number is the mechanism for mathematically coding and in a standardized way all accounts, whether current, savings, and any other type of account and financial product. It is known as the Customer Account Code (CCC).
The number of a bank account has 20 digits, which are distributed in groups separated by hyphens and represent a specific encoding:
- The first 4 digits define the code assigned to the financial institution by the Central Bank.
- The following 4 digits correspond to the branch code where you opened the account.
- Then two check digits, a mathematical algorithm that gives validity and integrity to the account.
- The last 10 digits are consecutive and are assigned by the entity to number the account and classify it.
Where to check my bank account number?
Now, you must know the channels through which you can consult the number of your Savings Account or Checking Account of a Bank:
- Through the Bank App.
- Entering the People Virtual Branch
- Through the Telephone Branch
- Approaching a Physical Branch.
Consultation channels that, as you can see, do not differ much between banks; who have created these alternatives to provide a better service to customers and allow the required information to be consulted and the account or card number to be known
What are debit cards?
A debit card is a financial tool where the money is deposited electronically and affiliated through a bank account that can be a savings or checking account. You can carry out banking operations such as cash withdrawals and balance inquiries at ATMs and make purchases through points of sale in various stores.
The operation of debit cards is effortless; when performing a banking operation, the money is automatically deducted from the user’s account. To carry out these operations, you only have to deliver your plastic, provide the requested information (ID number and type of account), and enter your secret code. For online purchases, you will need to use your debit card number.
Debit cards can be declined for several reasons:
- Insufficient amount in the bank account.
- There is no connection with the issuing bank.
- Any data provided that is wrong at the point of sale or the ATM does not carry out the operation.
What is my debit card account number?
Have you noticed that debit cards also have a number printed on them? You may think at first glance that it is the account number. But no. The debit card account number is different from your bank account number.
This code is 18 numbers and is classified as follows:
- The first 6 digits contain information about the bank that issued the card and the city or town.
- The following 11 digits are the card account number.
- A last digit is a verification number.
What are Credit Cards?
The credit card is a prevalent type of card and represents a revolving line of credit offered by the bank to customers who meet specific requirements. It has its respective magnetic stripe microchip, and the card number is embossed.
A credit card is a payment tool that makes it easy for you to purchase through points of sale with electronic money “borrowed” by the bank. At the end of the month, the bank asks you to pay a fee of the total amount consumed; of course, there is always the option to pay the entire credit and thus stay without debt or accrue interest.
Banks have a wide variety of types of credit cards such as:
- Classic credit cards: American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. These cards are essential, and the credit amount is not very high.
- Silver and gold credit cards: The loan process is the same, only the amount is much higher and tends to offer unique services such as discounts. They are considered VIP credit cards since the user uses bank credit frequently.
What do my credit card numbers mean?
It is an extensive sequence of numbers that contains information that allows the credit card holder to carry out operations. Credit cards have data to carry out transactions safely and are made up of a series of digits that will enable the card provider and the cardholder to be identified.
On the one hand, the number of numbers corresponds to a security issue. In situations of attempts to illegally access the card’s bin number for “carding,” it is lost or stolen.
The credit card that allows you to make payments for services and purchases generally has 16 digits. However, depending on the type of card and bank, they can vary between 15 and 19 digits, and these digits appear separately in groups of 4 for easier identification.
What do the digits on the credit card mean?
The digits of the credit card are not random, as some may believe; these numbers are based on the ISO/IEC 7812 standard. The international standard has been regulating since 1989, establishing the meaning of each group of the positions of those digits.
- The first six digits signify the type of card, the issuer, and the geographical area in which it was issued. They indicate whether the issuer is a bank or a store, whether the card is Visa or Mastercard, and the country of issue.
- While the rest of the digits, except the last, allow the credit card to be associated with the account number and contain information about the owner. The order of the numbers will depend on the bank.
- Finally, the control number, whose purpose is to prevent the fraudulent use of money. What is calculated using the Luhn algorithm may appear last or in the previous two or last three digits.
Other information on the credit card
Other information on the credit card appears as follows:
- Expiration date: it appears below the main numbering, and the format is month/year.
- Name of the holder: usually appears at the bottom.
- Name of the bank: issuing bank of the card
- Provider logo: in this case, it can be the logo of American Express, VISA, Mastercard, or other brands.
- CVV: The three digits behind the card have a protection function. Being randomly chosen.
How to get a debit card?
You can request your debit card through the official website or at the nearest branch office of the bank of your choice. To obtain it, all you have to do is open a bank, savings, or current account, and your card will automatically be delivered to you with a printed number.
What are the requirements to pay with a debit card through points of sale?
You must meet the following requirements:
- Have an active debit card.
- Give the following information: Identification number, type of account, and card key.
- Have sufficient funds.
- Do not give any wrong information.
How do I activate my credit card?
To activate your credit card, you can do it through digital banking or the mobile application of your preferred bank. Once you have entered the application, perform the following steps:
- Click on the new credit card.
- The application will notify you that it will send you a code to continue with the process.
- Confirm your phone number added to your bank account.
- Enter the verification code that came to you by text message.
- Validate your card by entering the numbers at the bottom of your card.
- Ready! Your credit card is now activated and ready to use at any merchant of your choice.
- It is essential to know that if you obtain your credit card at the bank, it will be ready to be used, and you will not need any other process.
Does making partial or total installments of my credit card debt have any additional interest?
Since paying before or on the closing day does not generate any interest, it should not. You can make these payments through your bank’s digital banking or through its mobile application as many times as you want.
I want to know how much I owe on my credit card and where I can check the minimum payment.
To find out your minimum payment for your credit card, you have to enter digital banking or through your bank’s mobile application, where you can consult pay the minimum installment. You can also see your credit card’s cut-off date and the payment limit.
In conclusion, you should know that:
- The number is unique and identifies a credit card account, so each card issued globally has an impressive number. No bank will be able to give an equal card, being the personal number for the owner and providing the necessary information when making purchases online, for example. So do not hesitate to consult the different service channels of the banking or financial entities to find out the card or account number.
- In general, the number that appears on the front of the card does not correspond directly to the number of the savings account assigned to you by the bank. This difference must be clear to avoid confusion.
- Last but not least, do not forget to always protect your data and separate online transactions from your credit card. Likewise, although there are still cards with a magnetic stripe, it is best to use debit and credit cards with a chip since the change was designed to combat fraud.
Did you know this information about the account number of your card or bank account? We hope that the information has been beneficial for you to understand the banking world a little better. If you have any questions regarding the topic, we invite you to leave your comment.